Industrial Uses for Perlite and Vermiculite
Perlite and Vermiculite are both light weight, fireproof, non-toxic, porous, have an optimum capacity for liquid retention and can be produced in a variety of sizes which makes them useful in a number of industrial applications.
Listed below are the most common industrial uses for Perlite and Vermiculite.
- Absorbents – to clean up liquid spills.
- Animal Feed – a support and carrying medium for nutrients, fat concentrates, vitamins and molasses.
- Carriers – for pesticides, feed concentrates, herbicides.
- Chemical Filter Aid – organic and inorganic chemicals, sulphuric acid, brine, adhesive, polymers.
- Fireproofing – boards, panels, spray applied plasters.
- Cryogenic Insulation
- Disposal Wells
- Fillers – Glass
- Friction Linings – brake and clutch linings Insulation – high temperature, pipe, acoustical.
- Oil Recovery
- Packing Materials
- Paints and Textured Coatings – waxes, oils, varnish, gums, shellac, paint.
- Pharmaceutical Filtration – enzymes, Epsom salts, penicillin, streptomycin, tetramycin.
- Pool Water Treatment and Filtration
- Refractory Bricks
- Reinforced Cement Plasters
- Sludge Solidification
- Soaps and Cleansers - Abrasive in soaps and cleansers
- Solvent Recovery
- Traction Materials
- Storm Water Bio Filters